Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Why I Believe

Why I Believe     359 pages
What do Steve Young, Gladys Knight, Orrin Hatch, and Mitt Romney have in common?
 They are all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and in this inspiring new book they join with dozens of other well-known personalities to share with the world a brief look at why they believe. The paths to testimony have been as diverse as the life experiences of these sports, business, professional, religious, and entertainment figures. Some tell of their pioneer ancestry; others write of what it is like to be first-generation members of the Church. Each gives an inside, personal perspective on the faith that has shaped his or her view of the world. Readers will be uplifted by the stories and motivated by the examples of these remarkable men and women who stand as a light in the latter days.
 Contributors include Stephen R. Covey, Steve Young, Merrill J. Bateman, Jane Clayson, Gladys Knight, LaVell Edwards, Bill Marriott, Danny Ainge, Richard Paul Evans, Gerald N. Lund, Mitt Romney, Truman G. Madsen, Orrin Hatch, Clayton Christensen, Richard M. Eyre, Alan C. Ashton, Andy Reid, Mark Willes, Cathy Stokes, and other prominent Latter-day Saints.
 In a letter to members of the early Christian church, the Apostle Peter wrote, “Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the home that is in you.” (1 Peter 3:15.) In Why I Believe, prominent members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints answer that charge, explaining to the world the reasons for their faith.
 Stephen R. Covey, internationally known business consultant and author, notes, “I feel, as Helen Keller put it, that ‘the best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched but are felt in the heart.’ God’s spirit has filled my whole heart and soul with belief.”
 Steve Young, former quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, writes, “I believe because I practiced my faith first without knowing and then felt the answers in my heart. Over time this faith produced conviction that I know more than anything else in my life, seen or unseen.”
 Recording star Gladys Knight says, “I was meeting with the full-time missionaries. I listened, I learned, and to my amazement I was filled with great joy. The Spirit testified to me again and again that their testimonies of Jesus Christ were true. I knew that the doctrines they taught were of God.”
 In an age of skepticism and unbelief, such expressions of faith and certainty awaken the hope of a better tomorrow and the courage to move forward in life.
 LDS philosopher Truman G. Madsen writes, “A renowned sociologist cornered me in the Harvard library stacks one day. ‘I can’t account for it,’ he said, ‘and I probably wouldn’t trust your explanation. But I find more spiritual vitality per square inch among the Latter-day Saints than any other group I’ve studied. And I’ve covered the waterfront.’” If you’d like to know more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or if you’d just like to understand the reasons behind the vitality of its members, you’ll enjoy reading Why I Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment